Who Are We at Redeemer Episcopal Church?
Redeemer Episcopal Church is a parish in the Diocese of Springfield which is a constituent member of the worldwide Anglican Communion.
Redeemer Episcopal Church is a community of Faith, Hope, Love, and commitment where dreams come true in Jesus Christ, our Lord.
“Our mission is to restore all people to unity with God and each other in Christ.” (The Book of Common Prayer pg. 855)
Our Ministries as outlined in the Book of Common Prayer is:
- To continue in the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in the prayers.
- To persevere in resisting evil, and, whenever we fall into sin, repent and return to the Lord.
- To proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ.
- To seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving our neighbors as ourselves.
- To strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being.
We invite all the people in our Community to come and participate in these ministries and be part of this Jesus’ Movement.
Our duty as Christians is to follow Christ; to come together week by week for corporate worship; and to work, pray, and give for the spread of the kingdom of God.
Prayer for the Parish.
Almighty and ever-loving God, ruler of all things in heaven and earth, hear our prayers for the Redeemer Episcopal Church family. Strengthen the faithful, arouse the careless, and restore the penitent. Grant us all things necessary for our common life, and bring us all to be of one heart and mind within your holy Church and this community; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Father James K. Muriuki accepted a call to serve the Church of the Redeemer in August, 2014 from the Church of the Good Shepherd, Montgomery in the Diocese of Alabama after serving for 13 years. He also served as Priest Associate at the All Saints’ Episcopal Church, Homewood, in Birmingham Alabama for 5 years.
Before moving to the United States, Fr. James served in the Anglican Church of Kenya.
It was a challenging move for our children who call Alabama their home; but with time, all that is behind and we all have come to accept that this is where we are and this is our home.
One of the main things that I have enjoyed most is the love and commitment of the church members. Their dedication is above and beyond measure. They have done exploits for the Kingdom of God.
The church reaches out to the community through its mission and Outreach ministries every week:
- On Mondays between 10am – 12noon as we give out Rice & Beans. We also give fresh Panera bread and rolls, donated by the Panera Bread in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays between 5-6pm; Martial Arts for all ages.
At the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, we strive to Invite, Connect, and Welcome all people in our community through our services inside and outside the church.