Construction of Church Of The Redeemer
Construction of the first Church of the Redeemer, on the corner of Washington Avenue at Sixth Street, commenced September 28, 1886 with the cornerstone laid December 7, 1886.
The church was finished on April 9, 1888, at a cost of $30, 899.49, including furnishings and memorials.
The beautiful brown stone edifice with slate roof, cupola, and gold gilt cross, had the first services April 10, 1888, and was consecrated on November 13, 1892 by the right Rev. George F. Seymour, Bishop of Springfield.