Original Civil War Era Episcopal Church Building Still Standing
The original church building on Fourteenth Street was sold to Bishop Seymour on July 2, 1886 for $2000 to be held in trust for “St. Michael Mission” (colored Episcopal) and was used for many years for that purpose.
The $2000 started a building fund for the Sixth Street Church. The corner lot at Sixth Street was occupied by one of the most substantial houses in that part of the city and the residence was moved to the adjoining lot on Washington Avenue and became the rectory which is still in use.
The Fourteenth Street Church property was finally sold by the bishop to the Roman Catholic diocese of Belleville for use as St. Columbia’s Church and School (for colored) for many years before being closed. The wooden structure is still standing (1988).